My 12wbt Round 1 2011 goal

Friday, April 8, 2011

Is perfectionism getting in the way?

Well after much soul searching, seeing myself in TBLs Lara, madly eating after my weigh in this week I got to thinking WHY? Why was it, when I was so close to goal did I give up working out and start binging? What happened to me, why did I close down and give up on the dreams, possibilities, goals.

After talking this morning with other 12wbters I found that this was not so uncommon for anyone who has a lot to loose (weight that is) so the question remains why do we do it? Here are some of my thoughts on what I have discovered:

1. Perfectionism gets in the way. Have messy house anyone, possibly because if you cant do it right why bother. We set oursleves up. No more true than loosing weight. Suddenly in sight of goal, pretty sure it is going to happen, when self doubt creeps in, perfectionism comes next and then you are saying ‘why bother because I am only going to fail anyway’.

2. We feel like we deserve it. A bit of complacency slips in! Oh yes it does. The feeling of having done so well and thinking one little bit wont hurt or missing one training session doesn’t matter and before you know it you miss two and eat a little more chocolate. Dont we deserve more.

3. We begin to wonder if we are a fraud if there is no more too loose and what would life be like without this program. True for me, started to worry about post 12wbt days because after a year and I dont know if I could do it on my own. So if I dont loose the last 5kg I wont have to loose 12wbt. Perhaps irrational but nonetheless valid for a scared brain.

4.A combination of all of the above which is where I am right now. So I ate the chocolate and it didn’t touch the sides, I ate so quick I didn’t even taste it. Sitting here right now I know I would have enjoyed it so much better slower and with a cup of camomile tea.

So now that I know why I need to work out how to move past it.

I wanted to share because I thought I might not be alone. Well I know Lara (TBL) is with me, who else is struggling?

No comments:

Post a Comment